Why should one take this course?
- To learn the fundamentals of banking.
- To improve one’s awareness of the policies and practices in the Indian banking sector.
- To be familiar with banking services available in India.
Who will benefit from this course?
- Students aspiring for banking as a career
- Employees of Call Centres / BPOs of Banks
- Teachers of financial courses
- Anybody having interest in the area of banking
Commercial Banking Syllabus
Definition of banks, Evolution of Commercial Banks in India, Functions of Commercial
Banks, Competitive Landscape of Banks in India
Banking Structure in India
Banking Structure in India, Role of RBI vis-‘-vis other commercial banks
Bank Deposit Accounts
Introduction to Bank Deposits, Types of Deposit Accounts, Strategies of mobilizing deposits, and Common guidelines of opening and operating accounts, deposit-related services, Deposit services offered to Non-Resident Indians, Deposit Insurance
Basics of Bank Lending
Principles of Lending and Loan Policy, Basics of loan appraisal Credit decision-making and Review, Types of Advances, Management of Non-Performing Assets
Investment Policy, Statutory Reserve Requirements, Non-SLR Requirements, Banks’ Investment Classification and Valuation Norms
Other Activities of Commercial Banks
Other Basic Banking activities, Para -banking Activities
Relationship between Banks and Customers
Strategy for expanding customer base, services to different customer groups, competition among banks for customers, customer relationship management, Banking Options budsman Scheme, Know Your Customer (KYC) norms Evolving Trends in Modern Banking
Technology, Outsourcing of Non-core Activities, Financial Inclusion